Monday, June 15, 2009

NO POINTS FOR GUESSING ONE OF MY FAVOURITE EMBELLISHMENTS ......

I did some late-night crafting last night, having been inspired by my friend Claire's use of the Upsy Daisy stamp set this past week, and my new blogging friend Renee's use of Stampin' Pastels on kraft card.  I have a couple of cards to share, to show you how one stamp set can yield vastly different results.

You MAY be able to tell, by looking at this first card, that I am rather partial to using brads on my cards.  For any uninitiated readers, 'brads' are split pins - they're just much prettier!  My monthly stamp group friends just roll their eyes, I'm sure, when I suggest the addition of Build-A-Brads to just about every card that looks like it might need a little extra 'something'.  I have actually been giving my Build-A-Brads a rest in recent weeks, and on the following two cards I have given black brads (from Stampin' Up!'s Vintage brad selection) a bit of a workout!

My first card uses the colours Regal Rose, Rose Red and Old Olive.  I had a scalloped oval piece of kraft card in my little stash of 'pieces of card cut out just waiting to be stamped on' (I seem to have accumulated a lot of these, thanks to the marvellous invention called Nestabilities).  On this, I stamped in Whisper White craft ink (slow-dryimg pigment ink) the main image from the Upsy Daisy stamp set - LOVE this little set.  I applied Old Olive stampin' pastels (chalks in Stampin' Up! colours - brilliant!) to the stems, then, using sponge daubers, 'pounced' Regal Rose and Rose Red stampin' pastels onto the flower heads.  The white ink base gives the colour real vibrancy - a really pretty result, don't you think?  The main Old Olive panel has been stamped with Stampin' Up!'s 'Weathered' background stamp, in Versamark ink so it is subtle.  Don't you love how the Felt Fusion flowers in Rose Red and Old Olive match the card and ribbon?  I do!!  Can't help but gush about all the co-ordinating elements in Stampin' Up!'s range; it's one of the things I love the most about SU!  I know I'm not alone in this, but I still get very excited by all the matchy-matchy things I can buy (and order for you, if you live in Australia!).

Scalloped rose, olive upsy daisy

Stamps: Upsy Daisy, Best Yet, Weathered

Card: Kraft, Regal Rose, Old Olive, Rose Red

Ink: Whisper White craft stampin' pad, Staz-On Jet Black, Versamark

Other: Stampin' Pastels (Old Olive, Regal Rose, Rose Red), sponge daubers, scalloped oval nestabilities, Flower Fusion, black brads, eyelet border punch, Old Olive 5/8" grosgrain ribbon, edge distresser, stampin' dimensionals



I have seen a few cards lately using the colour scheme of Kiwi Kiss, Basic Black and Whisper White, and just love the crispness of that combination.  I started off my card by stamping the Upsy Daisy flowers in Versamark (a clear, sticky ink - this is great stuff, as it's very versatile) on Whisper White card.  I then applied, and melted, black embossing powder, to give a raised, shiny finish.  Next I inked up the flower stamp with Kiwi Kiss ink, and stamped the flowers a couple of times over the top of the embossed image.  How cool does this look??  Please excuse my excitement if this is 'old hat' to you, but it's the first time I have even thought to do it, and I'm rapt with the result.  I sponged heavily around the edges of the white panel, using Kiwi Kiss ink and a sponge dauber, then mounted the panel on a piece of Basic Black card.  The "hi' greeting comes from a stamp set called Say it With Scallops - I stamped it in Versamark on Kiwi Kiss card, then white-embossed it, and cut it out with the magnificent co-ordinating scallop square punch.  LOVE how Stampin' Up! has a great range of punches to co-ordinate with stamp sets; it makes it very easy to give your cards a 'finished' look.  The patterned paper is from the Kiwi Kiss Patterns Designer Series paper pack; isn't it beautiful?  A bit of ribbon and a few brads (had to cut back because I used too many on the first card, ha ha) finish off the card.

Kiwi, black upsy daisy hi

Stamps: Upsy Daisy, Say it With Scallops

Card: Whisper White, Basic Black, Kiwi Kiss

DSP: Kiwi Kiss

Ink: Kiwi Kiss stampin' pad, Versamark

Other: Black embossing powder, white embossing powder, Kiwi Kiss striped grosgrain ribbon, black brads, sponge dauber, stampin' dimensionals, scallop square punch

I hope you enjoy looking at my cards as much as I enjoy making them!  I hope to make a few more with the Upsy Daisy images that I have stamped out; I was interrupted all evening last night by Ethan, who had a lot of trouble getting to sleep, so my creative flow was very stop/start.  Hopefully my tired boy will sleep soundly tonight, and Mum can play!

Thanks for coming to visit my special place.  Christine :)

5 comments:

  1. Wow you have been busy in between those football games! That gives a nice effect on the white craft ink doesn't it - must try that! My fave is def the kiwi one - like you said a crisp colour combination! Have a great week,
    Claire

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm very partial to brads too :) A beautiful pair of cards. I really like the effect of the soft pinks together on the flowers

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've been creative! Love the cards. The sponging just finishes them off beautifully doesn't it. Cheeers, Sue

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great cards my friend, the kiwi one is my fave though. You are so right about it looking crisp and clean.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Once again, I have to agree with everyone; that Kiwi Kiss and Whisper White combo in particular is lovely and crisp. The pink & green card is just "bewdiful". You're soooo clever! Did I put Upsy Daisy on my birthday wishlist?.... heh heh

    ReplyDelete