Thursday, March 15, 2012

retrosketches #2 : STAMPIN' UP!'S "AIN'T LOVE GRAND"

There is a VERY cool new sketch challenge site on the scene.  I know, I know - I do complain that I find sketch challenges very, well, challenging!  But you must check out retrosketches, started by the super-talented Arielle Gordon.  Great design team, great concept, and a whole lot of fun.  Might I say that I was also drawn in by the gorgeous "coffee-stained" grid paper and hand-drawn look of each sketch?  Love that!

Anyway, I missed the first week's deadline, but have managed to scrape in for the second challenge.  I don't "do" clean and simple very well, but have tried to achieve that look on my card.

Here's this week's sketch:





I've inked up my Ain't Love Grand stamp set for the first time.  Another first for me is leaving the stamped image un-coloured.  I really like the clean graphic look of a black line image, with just a splash of colour (in this case a paper-pieced megaphone).

Here's what I came  up with, thanks to Stampin' Up!'s Tickets & Tags Simply Scrappin' kit (great colours, don't you think?):




Stamps: Ain't Love Grand, Candle Crazy Builder Wheel
Card: Basic Gray, Baja Breeze, Whisper White, Poppy Parade
DSP: Tickets & Tags Simply Scrappin' kit, Poppy Parade Patterns Designer Series Paper
Ink: Basic Gray stampin' pad, Poppy Parade stampin' pad, Baja Breeze stampin' pad, Jet Black Staz-On inkpad
Other: Sponge daubers, Crumb Cake corduroy brad (retired), Basic Gray satin ribbon, Crumb Cake taffeta ribbon

8 comments:

  1. Awesome card Christine. I love that you've left this little guy uncoloured and paper pieced his megaphone.

    xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've done C&S VERY well with this card!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant card Christine, I love this little guy left uncoloured :0) perfect guys card and I love your choice of papers And colours :0)
    Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did CAS very well! I love the pop of red with the grays.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for visiting my blog :) I love this little fellow and he looks stunning with these papers. Gorgeous card!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Totally love your Houndstooth DSP and colours together.
    Great idea to leave your spruiker un-coloured, he looks brilliant with just his megaphone paper pieced.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Super cute, Christine, love the paper and image! Sorry it's taken me this long to come back and comment - I only had time to peek at everyone's cards before! Thanks so much for playing with us at RetroSketches and I hope you will join us again!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is awesome Christine! LOVE your DSP mix (as you know, I never would have been that brave, lol), the double ribbon treatment & your cute little line image with his paper-pieced megaphone. Fantastic card! Hugs :)

    ReplyDelete