Sunday, August 19, 2012

SC 54/12: MAGICAL MASKING TECHNIQUE

This week's challenge at Sunny Challenges & Creations, is to use the sketch below, plus a nifty little technique called Magical Masking, to create a card.






Prior to being issued this challenge, I'd never heard of Magical Masking!  Here's a link to a tutorial on Splitcoaststampers:

http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=all&si=TLC373&what=keywords

You need to start with a piece of glossy cardstock.  Lay a strip of masking tape, sticky side down, on an inkpad to pick up colour, stick the tape down on the glossy cardstock, and pull it up quickly (as if it's a wax strip on your leg, or elsewhere!).  The cardstock will have ink cover that looks a bit textured.  The idea is to repeat these steps until your glossy card is covered.

Since this is my first time attempting the technique, I'm not sure of my level of success, but I'll show you anyway!  I worked with a piece of glossy card that I'd cut using my Beautiful Butterflies die, and I applied strips of ink in Perfect Plum and Wisteria Wonder.

Here's what I came up with:




Stamps: Elements of Style
Card: Glossy White, Crumb Cake, Whisper White, Perfect Plum, Wisteria Wonder
DSP: Flirtatious Specialty Designer Series Paper
Ink: Crumb Cake, Perfect Plum and Wisteria Wonder stampin' pads, Whisper White craft stampin' pad
Other: Scallop Circles #2 die, 1 " Circle punch, Beautiful Butterflies die, Boho Blossoms punch, In Color Designer brad, Scallop Edge border punch, Wisteria Wonder ruffled ribbon, Crumb Cake taffeta ribbon, Basic Pearls, sponge daubers, Mat Pack & paper piercing tool, masking tape, mini glue dots


Thanks to the ladies at Sunny Challenges & Creations for this great challenge.  I'm really enjoying being a Guest Designer this month.  Please be sure to check out the rest of the Design Team samples, and play along with us this week!





7 comments:

  1. Lovely card. Love the butterflies and the colours! Great technique!
    Enjoy the rest of your day!

    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your take on the challenge Christine. It's fun every once in a while to step outside our comfort zone and try something new. Thanks for being part of the team this month Christine, I love your style.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous colours and beautiful card, what a fun Technique, l'm off to splitcoast to investigate further. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great card Christine. I am not sure about this technique as yet, so am going to play more. I love how you have used the 2 textured ribbons on your card, background stamping, doily, brad....Oh what the heck, I love all your embellishements.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, your butterfly looks fantastic with the magic masking tech on it. I hadn't thought of doing two colours!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't heard of the techy before but I think you have done a wonderful job! Great colour combo too! Hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cool technique, Christine, must give it a try. Love the soft colours & patterns, & especially, the bow treatment! Hugs :)

    ReplyDelete